One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
immediately, at once, straight away, right away, instantaneously, suddenly, abruptly, all of a sudden, on the instant, at a stroke, forthwith, then and there, there and then, here and now, that minute, this minute, that very minute, this very minute, that instant, this instantView synonyms
- ‘It was agreed there and then that the flag would be buried where they stood.’
- ‘He realises very quickly where he is better off and finishes the relationship there and then.’
- ‘You will get the chance to have your say and hopefully have your questions answered there and then.’
- ‘Of course, if Kingston had been bothered to speak to us when we called, we could have set the record straight there and then.’
- ‘I instantly contacted the gallery: I wanted to buy it there and then, but it had been sold.’
- ‘In fact, I should probably have just cancelled the interview there and then.’
- ‘Susie and I sat in the Movie Cafe on Friday and I promised there and then that I'd make some good progress.’
- ‘But some things can't be tackled there and then and need to be put on a list.’
- ‘Most radically, you take the goods away with you, right there and then.’
- ‘He went for a course of shiatsu - and was so impressed with the results he signed up to train as a shiatsu healer there and then.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.