One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who engages or is an expert in theology.
- ‘The author overturns the vision of two generations of historians and theologians.’
- ‘The bishops would do better to consult with moral theologians and criminologists.’
- ‘I am not a theologian and therefore cannot enter into the theological discussion.’
- ‘It is clear that the Church Fathers became Christian intellectuals and theologians.’
- ‘However, he stresses that their aim is not to train theologians but to theologically train professionals.’
- ‘As a pastoral theologian, I applaud texts that look realistically at the emotive world.’
- ‘Now if people would cease to read all the junk by the Church Fathers and modern theologians and turn to the Word, they would be informed.’
- ‘He is also a thoughtful theologian who has written an introduction to the theology of Jirgen Moltmann.’
- ‘Assembled for the meeting were theologians, pastors, priests, nuns, and lay church leaders.’
- ‘He is an American theologian who specializes in Jewish mysticism and philosophy.’
- ‘It would be tough to keep him off the list of the ten most influential theologians in church history.’
- ‘The preface to the reader made it abundantly clear that it was aimed not at erudite ecclesiastical theologians but at ordinary people.’
- ‘For centuries, theologians have puzzled and debated the topic of predestination.’
- ‘So why not turn elsewhere, to the churches, theologians and religious leaders of our day?’
- ‘The bishops, curates and theologians who allow such talk to be spread among the people, will have an account to render.’
- ‘Few doubt either Ratzinger's stature as a theologian or his deep piety and devotion to the church.’
- ‘Some theologians have claimed that theology gives a justification of religion.’
- ‘Aquinas or any number of other theologians could have provided Luther with a richer notion of grace.’
- ‘Since those days she has pursued her life's work as a lay theologian in the Orthodox Church.’
- ‘In working such a story out, the theologians were, it is true, assisted by other disciplines.’
Late 15th century: from French théologien, from théologie or Latin theologia (see theology).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.