One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The genealogy of a group or system of gods.
- ‘The ten points inscribed within that ‘Pythagorean Triangle’ are worth all the theogonies and angelologies that ever emanated from the theological brain.’
- ‘Greek mythology contains theogonies, which are stories of the birth of the gods.’
- ‘Several near eastern theogonies have survived, and can be compared to the work of Hesiod.’
- ‘The above is made clear in all the great theogonies, principally in the Grecian.’
- ‘Yet, his interpretation amends these theogonies, perhaps in light of some of the teachings of Xenophanes.’
- ‘How do the Greek theogonies shape the Greeks' image of the world?’
- ‘First of all, they abandoned the personification found in the mythologies and theogonies that preceded them, and the anthropomorphism that accompanies this.’
- ‘In the same way, Gaea or Terra is the Great Mother of the gods and at the same time the wife of Uranos in Greek theogonies.’
- ‘His analysis of the Derveni papyrus shows that there were two distinct Orphic theogonies of classical date, that were later modified and finally amalgamated into the ‘24 Rhapsodies’ from which the Neoplatonists quote.’
- ‘Most Christians don't seem to believe in a completely transcendent God (unless they need to explain something away or deal with theogony, and only for as long as that takes).’
- ‘The Orphic poems that form the basis of the extant literature are mainly theogonies, but many refer to mystery cults and initiatory rites, with an apparent especial connection with Eleusis.’
- ‘Orpheus, the archetypal poet, was also the archetypal singer of theogonies, which he uses to calm seas and storms in the Argonautica, and to move the stony hearts of the underworld gods in his descent to Hades.’
- ‘The Gods, of whom this book is offered as a theogony, are several and complex, modern gods, who are less inclined to steer our lives than to simply tread on the accelerator.’
Early 17th century: from Greek theogonia, from theos ‘god’ + Greek -gonia ‘-begetting’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.