One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting a system of government in which priests rule in the name of God or a god.‘a theocratic state’‘a theocratic totalitarian political party’
- ‘The election is not expected to change the country's theocratic government.’
- ‘In the Ottoman era, there was never a fully-fledged theocratic system.’
- ‘In most theocratic states, being gay is a crime that is severely punished.’
- ‘The country has proved that religion can coexist with democracy, despite the theocratic inclinations of its fundamentalist adherents.’
- ‘The country is theocratic and extremist, but is also pro-Western.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.