One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting a system of government in which priests rule in the name of God or a god.‘a theocratic state’‘a theocratic totalitarian political party’
- ‘In the Ottoman era, there was never a fully-fledged theocratic system.’
- ‘The country is theocratic and extremist, but is also pro-Western.’
- ‘In most theocratic states, being gay is a crime that is severely punished.’
- ‘The election is not expected to change the country's theocratic government.’
- ‘The country has proved that religion can coexist with democracy, despite the theocratic inclinations of its fundamentalist adherents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.