One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The majority of people, regarded as holding moderate opinions but rarely expressing them.
- ‘However his experience suggests that noise nuisance is no longer being tolerated - and that is excellent news for the silent majority.’
- ‘They are the silent majority who have never spoken until now.’
- ‘We've been called the silent majority but the key word here is majority.’
- ‘Fleming laments that existing surveys and studies have documented something about the vocal minority, but almost nothing about the silent majority.’
- ‘A little restraint will also help to listen more carefully to the disquieting, but meaningful, silence of the silent majority.’
- ‘Could this pick up the protest vote from the silent majority?’
- ‘So no one knows what the silent majority really thinks.’
- ‘They might not be the silent majority, but they are quite possibly a substantial minority who just might decide this election.’
- ‘This now begs the question, is it time for the silent majority to get off the fence and let its voice be heard?’
- ‘‘This is a most regrettable decision and accepting the fact they have put the document out to publication, they have chosen to ignore the silent majority of patients,’ he said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.