One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The more people or things there are, the better or more enjoyable a situation will be.
- ‘Girls and boys can play and the more the merrier.’
- ‘But it is a case of the more the merrier for the swimmer who is confident he has a great hope of a medal in the 4x200m freestyle team event.’
- ‘To me, especially after September 11, everything is everyone's business should they wish it - the more the merrier.’
- ‘All details appreciated and the more the merrier.’
- ‘For Allardyce it is a case of the more the merrier.’
- ‘All past pupils are welcome to attend - in fact the more the merrier for what promises to be a very enjoyable event beginning at 1.30 pm.’
- ‘If you'd like to beat me to the punch, please go ahead - the more the merrier.’
- ‘It's very much a matter of the more the merrier for a good cause.’
- ‘Second, when it comes to partying, the more the merrier.’
- ‘He said: ‘I would invite anyone who has an interest in getting fit and playing this exciting and easy to learn sport to come along the more the merrier!’’
- ‘It's raising money for Cancer Research and the Army Benevolent Fund so hopefully we will get a few there - the more the merrier!’
- ‘All are welcome to the Autumn Social and the more the merrier.’
- ‘Everyone is welcome to enter into this competition, the more the merrier!’
- ‘I think liberals should say, look, the more the merrier.’
- ‘They should change their rules to allow women in because, the way I look at it, the more the merrier, especially as traditional club users are getting older.’
- ‘But by the end of the day it was, like, the more the merrier.’
- ‘Oh and spread the word, tell your friends - the more the merrier…!’
- ‘All players who were aged under 18 on April 1 are more than welcome, this is your chance to represent your town, your league, please attend, the more the merrier.’
- ‘There is no one size that will fit all, I think the more the merrier frankly.’
- ‘‘It's difficult to operate with anything less than 10 or 12 so we are looking for eight or 10 new members this winter, but the more the merrier,’ he said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.