One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The more people or things there are, the better or more enjoyable a situation will be.
- ‘There is no one size that will fit all, I think the more the merrier frankly.’
- ‘Second, when it comes to partying, the more the merrier.’
- ‘All are welcome to the Autumn Social and the more the merrier.’
- ‘I think liberals should say, look, the more the merrier.’
- ‘‘It's difficult to operate with anything less than 10 or 12 so we are looking for eight or 10 new members this winter, but the more the merrier,’ he said.’
- ‘But it is a case of the more the merrier for the swimmer who is confident he has a great hope of a medal in the 4x200m freestyle team event.’
- ‘It's very much a matter of the more the merrier for a good cause.’
- ‘Oh and spread the word, tell your friends - the more the merrier…!’
- ‘All players who were aged under 18 on April 1 are more than welcome, this is your chance to represent your town, your league, please attend, the more the merrier.’
- ‘But by the end of the day it was, like, the more the merrier.’
- ‘Everyone is welcome to enter into this competition, the more the merrier!’
- ‘All details appreciated and the more the merrier.’
- ‘He said: ‘I would invite anyone who has an interest in getting fit and playing this exciting and easy to learn sport to come along the more the merrier!’’
- ‘To me, especially after September 11, everything is everyone's business should they wish it - the more the merrier.’
- ‘If you'd like to beat me to the punch, please go ahead - the more the merrier.’
- ‘They should change their rules to allow women in because, the way I look at it, the more the merrier, especially as traditional club users are getting older.’
- ‘For Allardyce it is a case of the more the merrier.’
- ‘All past pupils are welcome to attend - in fact the more the merrier for what promises to be a very enjoyable event beginning at 1.30 pm.’
- ‘It's raising money for Cancer Research and the Army Benevolent Fund so hopefully we will get a few there - the more the merrier!’
- ‘Girls and boys can play and the more the merrier.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.