One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Someone looks foolish, especially after trying to make someone else look so.
- ‘All I can say to those five friends who started it all is, thanks lads and the joke is on you.’
- ‘They don't seem to realise that the joke is on them.’
- ‘Everyone laughs, though we're unsure if the joke is on us.’
- ‘But I'm betting that the Butler has more to do with the outcome of the show than we think, and that the joke is on Joe.’
- ‘When it is clear how ridiculous and ludicrous our situation is, the joke is on us.’
- ‘But the joke is on you because I have backup right up stairs.’
- ‘Or would you start to suspect that the joke is on you?’
- ‘On the other hand, perhaps the joke is on me for even considering this nonsense seriously.’
- ‘It would seem that the joke is on someone, but who?’
- ‘He knows when to tease and always understands when the joke is on him.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.