One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The scheme or deception is revealed or foiled.
- ‘Dekker looks over his shoulder and sees that the jig is up.’
- ‘If he flouts these rules, then it's time to tell him the jig is up, and he is out.’
- ‘Well, everyone knows that the jig is up once the partying begins.’
- ‘Tally put her hands in the air mockingly and said, ‘I guess the jig is up.’’
- ‘Which means, as Way puts it, ‘When the venues go, the jig is up.’’
- ‘The cops merely have to line up a bunch of cruisers along St-Antoine, a few more on McGill and de la Commune and the jig is up.’
- ‘Once the major minutes begin to tell on Michael Jordan - and it could happen any minute - the jig is up.’
- ‘The rug's been pulled; the jig is up; there is no way to get out of this one!’
- ‘The corrupt powers that be suddenly realize the jig is up and the healing can thus begin.’
- ‘It will be good enough, for your purposes, to tell him that the jig is up and you are outta there.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.