One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The power of speaking in unknown languages, regarded as one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2).
- ‘For many at Corinth and other Pauline cities, being moved by the Spirit meant having the gift of tongues or miracles or healing or prophecy.’
- ‘Love mandates that all utterances be interpreted for the community, so that the gift of tongues will no longer divide God's church, but will instead contribute to its unity in Christ.’
- ‘If there was no Scripture translated into that language, might God grant the gift of tongues to a missionary so that the people would be able to hear the gospel?’
- ‘Having said this it is important to distinguish between the gift of tongues when revealed in private between only the person and God, or the gift when revealed in the presence of many.’
- ‘This descent was marked by the gift of tongues, and St. Peter is recorded in Acts as seeing in this the new dispensation that had been prophesied by Joel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.