One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or thing considered to be an authentic and excellent example of their kind.
- ‘On Tuesday, the restaurants that have passed the trading standards test were granted membership to the Surrey Curry Club, which will endorse their food as being the genuine article.’
- ‘However, if one mark of the true artist is the willingness to take risks and to venture into uncharted territory, then Churchill is the genuine article.’
- ‘Before Reverend Horton Heat even settles into answering questions, you quickly realize that he is the genuine article.’
- ‘He said: ‘The public has the right to know that what they buy is the genuine article.’’
- ‘Janice and Alison go to great lengths to ensure they sell the genuine article, which comes with a certificate of authenticity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.