One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or thing considered to be an authentic and excellent example of their kind.
- ‘Before Reverend Horton Heat even settles into answering questions, you quickly realize that he is the genuine article.’
- ‘He said: ‘The public has the right to know that what they buy is the genuine article.’’
- ‘Janice and Alison go to great lengths to ensure they sell the genuine article, which comes with a certificate of authenticity.’
- ‘However, if one mark of the true artist is the willingness to take risks and to venture into uncharted territory, then Churchill is the genuine article.’
- ‘On Tuesday, the restaurants that have passed the trading standards test were granted membership to the Surrey Curry Club, which will endorse their food as being the genuine article.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.