One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or thing of great importance.
celebrity, famous person, very important person, personality, name, big name, famous name, household name, star, superstar, celebutante, leading light, mogul, giant, great, master, king, guruView synonyms
- ‘Finally, there is, of course, the big enchilada, the Supreme Court.’
- ‘In a movie like this, the fights are the big enchilada.’
- ‘Also potentially up for grabs is the big enchilada, the Treasury Secretary's job.’
- ‘Not only has the party lost its big enchilada - and chief legislative strategist - but it lacks a strong, legitimate party president.’
- ‘Twenty-five years after leaving the secretary of state's office in Washington DC, he nurtures his status as the big enchilada of foreign affairs.’
- ‘And of course the big enchilada is Fitzgerald himself.’
- ‘Because to the left of the party, it's fiscal policy that is the big enchilada, the issue they always fear they're going to be sold out on.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.