One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Very good friends.
- ‘Two teenage girls are the best of friends but are destined to go their separate ways until a tidal wave deposits a mermaid in a beach club swimming pool.’
- ‘Neighbours are not always the best of friends when it comes to football: just ask any Celtic or Rangers fan.’
- ‘Of course, the food and drink can be a lot of fun, especially when you're surrounded by the best of friends and family.’
- ‘This trip brought all three of us so close together that even today, 20 years later, we are still the best of friends.’
- ‘A good book is the best of friends, the same today and forever.’
- ‘David shakes her hand and she puts her other hand on top of his like they're the best of friends and smiles and nods a lot.’
- ‘The rest of the time we are the best of friends, sharing many common interests in Africa, human rights issues, and humour.’
- ‘The three were the best of friends at York and will no doubt enjoy sharing some liquid refreshment after tomorrow's showdown.’
- ‘Although they were nearly always pitted as adversaries on screen, beyond the studio they were the best of friends.’
- ‘They were the best of friends and shared the same advisers but they were individuals and each handled his situation differently.’
- ‘Sometimes we squabble, but most of the time we're the best of friends.’
- ‘But 31 years later, the two are the best of friends and have been labelled the dream team by patients and staff.’
- ‘We are now the best of friends - because friends can do anything together!’
- ‘The three of us had become very close to each other and became the best of friends.’
- ‘Now, after an emotional reunion and a huge stroke of luck, the three firm friends talk to each other every day and their wives have become the best of friends.’
- ‘Those 3 kids are playing in this same park like they are the best of friends.’
- ‘We are now the best of friends however, as I am magnanimous in defeat.’
- ‘Yet the trio, who were awarded their gold medals at the Agios Kosmas sailing venue last night, remain the best of friends.’
- ‘Last week we had been friends, not the best of friends, but friends nonetheless.’
- ‘The story revolves around two New England couples who are the best of friends.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.