One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to emphasize one's enthusiasm about a new idea, person, or thing.‘they think that she is the greatest thing since sliced bread’
utmost, optimum, last word, very limit, height, epitome, peak, pinnacle, acme, apex, apogee, zenith, culmination, perfection, nonpareil, extreme, extremityView synonyms
- ‘That's not to say there isn't a market there, rather that we haven't been convinced it's quite the next best thing since sliced bread.’
- ‘She finally locates the Assistant Wine Whatever-His-Title-Is, and he of the broad-smile-on-a-wide-face recommends the wine as if it were the next best thing since sliced bread.’
- ‘While some analysts think it's the next best thing since sliced bread, it has the feeling of WAP redux.’
- ‘Some people are a little confused by this latest trend, wondering what all the fuss is about and why it's becoming the next best thing since sliced bread.’
- ‘Just because almost everyone thinks the group is the next best thing since sliced bread doesn't mean that it won't fall apart.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.