One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person of whom one is extremely fond and proud.
sweetheart, loved one, love, true love, lady love, darling, dearest, dear one, lover, girlfriend, boyfriend, young lady, young man, woman friend, lady friend, man friend, beau, admirer, worshipper, inamorata, inamoratoView synonyms
- ‘Ramona was the apple of his eye, no ship or captain or crew could have pulled him away from her, not even the insistent calling of the ocean herself.’
- ‘She was the apple of my eye because she was always smiling.’
- ‘The eldest of these, Katie, is the apple of his eye.’
- ‘Your child is quite rightly the apple of your eye.’
- ‘You are the apple of my eye - forever you'll stay in my heart!’
- ‘Everyone seemed to be the apple of her eye as she tripped from one festoon corner to another to relish the savoury dish.’
- ‘I can't remember my Grandfather but apparently I was the apple of his eye.’
- ‘He also has a 12 year old daughter Alison, the apple of his eye.’
- ‘And I know that to every mummy and daddy, they are the apple of their eye, the perfect centre of their Universe.’
- ‘He adored her, she was the apple of his eye and she loved her dad.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.