One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An offering made as an act of thanksgiving.
sacrifice, oblation, burnt offering, peace offering, immolation, libation, first fruits, tribute, dedicationView synonyms
- ‘Persons wishing to make thank-offerings and contributions to The Memorial Church, in addition to the fees and honoraria, are welcome to do so.’
- ‘Then the people shouted and danced, for they fancied that in that way the thank offerings were sent right up to Ceres and Bacchus and Mercury and Athena and all the rest.’
- ‘There was pride, and boasting, and thank-offerings and cries to the God for prowess and deliverance.’
- ‘The Drachenloch cave is the most interesting and perhaps the most important cult site in the entire history of mankind, a place where more than seventy thousand years ago, thank offerings were being made to the supreme creative being.’
- ‘The latter scene is unique in England, it not being known that such thank offerings were made in this country during the middle ages until this painting was uncovered, although it was known that it occurred, and still occurs, in other European countries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.