Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An offering made as an act of thanksgiving.
sacrifice, oblation, burnt offering, peace offering, immolation, libation, first fruits, tribute, dedicationView synonyms
- ‘There was pride, and boasting, and thank-offerings and cries to the God for prowess and deliverance.’
- ‘Persons wishing to make thank-offerings and contributions to The Memorial Church, in addition to the fees and honoraria, are welcome to do so.’
- ‘The latter scene is unique in England, it not being known that such thank offerings were made in this country during the middle ages until this painting was uncovered, although it was known that it occurred, and still occurs, in other European countries.’
- ‘The Drachenloch cave is the most interesting and perhaps the most important cult site in the entire history of mankind, a place where more than seventy thousand years ago, thank offerings were being made to the supreme creative being.’
- ‘Then the people shouted and danced, for they fancied that in that way the thank offerings were sent right up to Ceres and Bacchus and Mercury and Athena and all the rest.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.