One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Freudian theory) the death instinct.Often contrasted with Eros
- ‘However, he argues further that if Freud is correct, the balance to Thanatos is Eros, or the love of life.’
- ‘He was attracted to a mixture, as Epstein puts it, of Eros and Thanatos.’
- ‘Here was Norman O. Brown's vision of Eros and Thanatos translated into brilliant novelistic terms.’
- ‘Surely that's necessary, but as Freud pointed out almost a century ago, Thanatos and Eros are hard to keep apart.’
- ‘Danger and death greet the poet's questing desire to excavate the lower reaches of the mind: Thanatos looms large in this writing.’
From Greek thanatos ‘death’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.