Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant body that is not differentiated into stem and leaves and lacks true roots and a vascular system. Thalli are typical of algae, fungi, lichens, and some liverworts.→ thalli
- ‘Some causal relationships between morphology and hydrodynamic performance have been established for macroalgae, through theoretical studies and hydrodynamic comparisons of differently exposed thalli.’
- ‘Oomycetes resemble fungi in the form of their thalli, ecology, and the plant parasitic ability of some species and are traditionally studied by mycologists.’
- ‘Filaments are typically tightly twisted and bundled, but may become separated in the middle part of the thallus.’
- ‘The thallus and rhizoid can be distinguished by their different patterns of cell division.’
- ‘Ceratopteris spores, like fucoid zygotes, divide unequally to produce a small rhizoid cell and a larger cell that develops into the thallus.’
Early 19th century: from Greek thallos green shoot from thallein to bloom.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.