Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The manipulation of text, especially the transformation of text from one format to another.
- ‘According to Capobianco, Curl applications are a set of development tools that combine scripting language, text processing and object-oriented programming.’
- ‘The strengths of scripting languages play directly to LIS programming requirements because their dynamic nature fits the needs of text processing.’
- ‘Christopher, a Web programmer, converted the index into a database using Per!, a programming language that is often used for Web-based text processing and data manipulation.’
- ‘In text processing one can use regular expressions to devise very brief scripts that might require many times more code in other languages - and that can never be understood by anyone other than the person who wrote them.’
- ‘Heim noted that text processing is transforming the way many disciplines are done: ‘The word processor is the calculator of the humanist’.’
text processing/ˈˌtekst präˌsesiNG/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.