Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A condition produced in genetically male people by the failure of tissue to respond to male sex hormones, resulting in normal female anatomy but with testes in place of ovaries.
- ‘Therefore, testicular feminization or other intersex disorders were not the cause of any female phenotypic appearance.’
- ‘Moreover, in the mouse model of testicular feminization in which male carriers of the X-linked Tfm mutation have no functional androgen receptors, the surfactant level of the Tfm male fetuses is the same as the females.’
- ‘Ten per cent of primary amenorrhoea is caused by androgen insensitivity syndrome (formerly testicular feminisation).’
- ‘The first type is known today as testicular feminization syndrome or androgen insensitivity syndrome.’
- ‘Otherwise, the outlook for complete testicular feminization is good if at-risk testicular tissue is removed at the proper time.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.