One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A geometric design broadcast by a television station so that viewers can adjust the quality of their reception.
- ‘The nature of the message does not ultimately matter since this subliminal signal can function through any program, even a test pattern.’
- ‘When we used a full-screen, pure-white test pattern, the measured brightness level was much lower - 65 cd/m2.’
- ‘During our subjective tests, we were able to see the inconsistencies using a pure-black test pattern.’
- ‘Usually, test patterns are displayed on the screens and carefully scrutinized to check for image defects.’
- ‘It's just impossible to have strong feelings of any kind about a movie like this, the cinematic equivalent of a test pattern..’
- ‘Each test pattern comes with a detailed description and a ‘What To Look For’ section that lists issues and artifacts to search for in the displayed image.’
- ‘When the public is spending some $55 million per annum, people at least want to know when we can turn on our televisions and see something more than the test pattern.’
- ‘On the Web, I also found an old-style ‘Indian head’ TV test pattern I wanted to use.’
- ‘Images are early US or Soviet television test patterns.’
- ‘The way in which thousands of sane people stared at test patterns for hours on end could be attributed to the novelty factor of TV.’
- ‘It was such a novelty that we would even stare at the test pattern together.’
- ‘He created such innovations as the multiple choice test pattern and coined the phrase, ‘Network difficulty.’’
- ‘You could view the wall as a monolith, or you could study the units of color that stood rigidly next to each other like the bars of a test pattern or the colored keys of a child's musical instrument.’
- ‘Alas, the TV editorials have gone the way of the test pattern and TV dial.’
- ‘We run these test patterns at all HDTV resolutions.’
- ‘Mr. Benson and Meg sat mesmerized by the test pattern on the television.’
- ‘A couple of those shows would have failed even if they'd only been opposite a test pattern.’
- ‘An announcer uses the ‘remote carrier beam,’ another TV monitor with a test pattern, to bring the captain's ‘special agents into sharp focus.’’
- ‘The tag title match was as exciting as watching a test pattern on TV.’
- ‘Radio Good Hope is being broadcast on the TV sound channel while the test patterns will be altered from time to time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.