Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A paper impregnated with an indicator that changes color under known conditions, used especially to test for acidity.
- ‘Mortality with 4 per cent DDT impregnated test papers was 17.5 per cent.’
- ‘In acid solution, oxidizing agents react with the iodide in the test paper to liberate iodine.’
- ‘Place the moist test material on the test paper, which after a few seconds will show a clear, violet coloration in the presence of acid phosphase.’
- ‘In the presence of acid phosphatase, the test paper develops violet stains on the white test paper.’
- ‘When using the test paper, first add a few drops of hydrochloric acid to the solution to be tested.’
test paper/test ˈpāpər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.