Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of induction coil for producing high-frequency alternating currents.
- ‘But he is most famous for the visually stunning Tesla coil, the largest of which reportedly created thunder audible from 15 miles away, and discharged 12-million-volt, 100-foot-long electrical sparks.’
- ‘Incidentally, Tesla coils of the same quality and performance criteria as the ‘Novalite 2000 ‘can be easily built by any hobbyist for about $500 in parts, or purchased already assembled for about $1,000.’’
- ‘The Machine was covered in tubes and spheres, Tesla coils and electrodes, funnels and jars, micro chips and transistors.’
- ‘Tesla's discoveries include the fluorescent light, the rotating magnetic field (the basis of most alternating-current machinery), wireless transmission of electrical energy, radio, remote control, and of course, the Tesla coil.’
- ‘I also remember a science fair where he made a Tesla coil that was an absolutely gorgeous object, copper wire wrapped around glass.’
- ‘As the years passed, the boy studied the mechanical innovations of the industrial revolution: Tesla coils, electro-magnetism, telephones, phonographs, dynamos, incandescent bulbs, and turbines.’
- ‘It's a powerful and faintly sinister phrase, one you might imagine some B-movie mad scientist muttering as he puts the finishing touches on some infernal machine amidst a clutter of bubbling retorts and crackling Tesla coils.’
- ‘He invented the Tesla coil to create high-frequency electricity, used in TV tubes, neon and fluorescent lighting, radio transmission, remote control and hundreds of other devices which are an essential part of our everyday lives.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.