Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An arrangement of triplets, especially in iambs, that rhyme aba bcb cdc, etc., as in Dante's Divine Comedy.
- ‘He favours challenging rhyme schemes and difficult forms, such as the sestina and terza rima.’
- ‘Merwin opts not to follow the terza rima strictly, or rather he rhymes so freely that he chooses not to speak of it.’
- ‘In the fifth assignment we finally stared metre directly in the face: the assignment was to write a sonnet, terza rima or ottava rima, in iambic pentametre.’
- ‘Dante's terza rima is frustratingly hard to get right in English, and many translators have nearly gone mad trying to get it right.’
- ‘It is an elegantly satisfying form, a dramatic equivalent of terza rima, which democratically gives each actor two scenes each.’
Italian, literally third rhyme.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.