One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fabric with raised uncut loops of thread covering both surfaces, used especially for towels.
- ‘Fleece picks up lint easily and a fleece garment washed with wool socks or terry towels will never look the same again.’
- ‘I'm going to be offering home trials in the new nappies which aren't like the old terry towelling squares with pins.’
- ‘This multipurpose mop comes with two washable cotton terry covers that can be used dry to sweep up dust and wet to wash floors.’
- ‘Wash and wipe down surfaces with a clean, terry cloth towel.’
- ‘He is wearing a light blue terry cloth golf shirt, and navy cords.’
- ‘Sylvie could see her legs were good, even though her feet were stuffed into big terry cloth slippers.’
- ‘Nelson stepped from his shower, wrapped in his blue terry cloth robe, with a white towel draped around his neck.’
- ‘Cotton towels come in many textures and weaves ranging from the common terry cloth to the more complex jacquard.’
- ‘Blot out excess moisture with a terry cloth towel.’
- ‘Having come a long way from boiling terry nappies many non-disposables use biodegradable linings and act like disposables.’
- ‘If the design curls when it's dry, press the design from the wrong side on a thick terry cloth towel, using a warm iron.’
- ‘Each room is richly appointed with goose down comforters, plush terry robes, oversized bathtubs, high-speed Internet access lines, a safe and mini bar.’
- ‘Using a fabric button kit from the craft or fabric store, cover a large button with fabric to coordinate with your sandals - blue terry cloth and red-and-white gingham in this case.’
- ‘Nappies were terry towelling and had to be washed by hand.’
- ‘This mid-weight pullover is made of French terry cotton, making it soft and durable.’
- ‘Stepping out of the shower, I wrapped the hotel's white terry cloth towel around my dripping wet body.’
- ‘She quickly grabbed a nearby towel and threw on her terry cloth robe.’
- ‘Blot the stain with a clean, white towel or terry cloth towel.’
- ‘Walking out of the bathroom, Siobhan wrapped her white terry cloth robe around her body and picked a book off the shelf.’
- ‘The scrub person drapes the infant warmer with sterile terry cloth towels and ensures that there are two bulb syringes and cord clamps in the warmer.’
Late 18th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.