Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a large class of organic compounds including terpenes, diterpenes, and sesquiterpenes. They have unsaturated molecules composed of linked isoprene units, generally having the formula (C₅H₈)n.
- ‘Agents used in household cleaning compositions are composed of structurally diverse classes of chemicals, including surface active agents, phenols, and terpenoids.’
- ‘Many species endemic in Australia are known to synthesize and accumulate significant quantities of volatile terpenoids.’
- ‘Because these terpenoids contain many functional groups - mainly unsaturated and saturated aldehydes and ketones - how they exert their antimicrobial activity is not well understood.’
- ‘The nectar is sucrose-dominant but also contains low concentrations of glucose, fructose, free amino acids and possibly terpenoids.’
- ‘However, the vast majority of terpenoids are classified as secondary metabolites, compounds not required for plant growth and development but presumed to have an ecological function in communication or defense.’
Denoting terpenoid compounds.
- ‘Several other terpenoid compounds have been detected in the plant; some of these have been isolated and structurally characterized.’
- ‘Bursera species often produce complex mixtures containing many individual compounds, often belonging to several terpenoid types.’
- ‘In other plant-herbivore systems, the physical properties of the resins are determined by their terpenoid composition.’
- ‘Tobacco was used as the host plant because it is an appropriate host for genetic engineering and its endogenous terpenoid metabolism has been well studied.’
- ‘The genus is notable for its terpenoid secretions and exudates that arise from a system of arborescent resin canals.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.