Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Composed of three parts.
- ‘There is no way to remove arbitrary elements from either a binary or a ternary sequence with a guarantee that two identical digits won't be brought together.’
- ‘These ternary plots suggest that the three suspect samples (plotted red, yellow and green) are in fact from the same source, and unique, when compared with many samples from other sources (plotted blue)’
- ‘The digits of ternary numerals can also help illuminate a peculiar mathematical object called the Cantor set, or Cantor's dust.’
- ‘Although the model ternary compositions we study are too simple to completely represent a biological membrane, we often find irascibility transitions close to physiological temperatures.’
- ‘However, phase diagrams of binary or ternary mixtures are much simpler and often provide information that permits their use as simple models for understanding the behavior of much more complex mixtures.’
- 1.1Mathematics Using three as a base.
- ‘Another hint: Many balance problems (including the ones we have looked at here) involve ternary (base 3) arithmetic, either implicitly or explicitly, because there are three possible outcomes to each weighing.’
- ‘Here I want to offer three cheers for base 3, the ternary system.’
- ‘Along with ternary arithmetic, a computer built of base - 3 hardware can also exploit ternary logic.’
- ‘In 1950, Claude E. Shannon published an account of symmetrical signed-digit systems, including ternary and other bases.’
- ‘According to the invention, each address is expressed as a multiplace number in a ternary (base 3) system instead of the usual binary (base 2) numbering system.’
Late Middle English: from Latin ternarius, from terni three at once.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.