One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A wooden pin used in tenpin bowling.
- ‘I steamed towards my tenpins like a rocket.’
- ‘Tenpin pinsetting equipment is more expensive and labor intensive than a 5 pin string machine.’
- ‘He did a nice impression of a bowling ball, knocking off his first nine opponents like so many tenpins.’
- ‘It's hard to see 20 wickets falling like tenpins.’
- 1.1tenpinsNorth American treated as singular Tenpin bowling.
- ‘Five-pin bowling has been popular longer than tenpins has in Canada.’
- ‘Canada setting up its own bowling association can only help the sport of tenpins.’
- ‘They could not bowl a full tenpins game during their lunch hours.’
- ‘He fooled around with plenty of other sports before settling on tenpins as his livelihood.’
- ‘I joined that league partway through the season, and I was hooked on the tenpin game.’
- ‘He looks back fondly on his tenpin career.’
- ‘Our two sport disciplines, tenpin and ninepin, also have their own business structures.’
- ‘He had touched on a topic that bothers some tenpin fans.’
- ‘The tenpin center is part of a booming business/entertainment area.’
- ‘The sport with the highest profile is tenpins.’
- ‘Bowling is not just a game of tenpins but an occasion for conversation.’
- ‘She became a national celebrity after defeating the greatest tenpin bowler of his day.’
- ‘It is one of the very last old-style tenpin alleys.’
- ‘Five pins was the only game in town until tenpins came along.’
- ‘Our final exciting finish is one of the most unexpected in tenpin history.’
- ‘It could be argued that tenpins runs in his veins.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.