Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A wooden pin used in tenpin bowling.
- ‘Tenpin pinsetting equipment is more expensive and labor intensive than a 5 pin string machine.’
- ‘I steamed towards my tenpins like a rocket.’
- ‘He did a nice impression of a bowling ball, knocking off his first nine opponents like so many tenpins.’
- ‘It's hard to see 20 wickets falling like tenpins.’
- 1.1North American [treated as singular]Tenpin bowling.
- ‘Bowling is not just a game of tenpins but an occasion for conversation.’
- ‘He looks back fondly on his tenpin career.’
- ‘It is one of the very last old-style tenpin alleys.’
- ‘The sport with the highest profile is tenpins.’
- ‘I joined that league partway through the season, and I was hooked on the tenpin game.’
- ‘It could be argued that tenpins runs in his veins.’
- ‘Five-pin bowling has been popular longer than tenpins has in Canada.’
- ‘The tenpin center is part of a booming business/entertainment area.’
- ‘Canada setting up its own bowling association can only help the sport of tenpins.’
- ‘Five pins was the only game in town until tenpins came along.’
- ‘Our two sport disciplines, tenpin and ninepin, also have their own business structures.’
- ‘She became a national celebrity after defeating the greatest tenpin bowler of his day.’
- ‘Our final exciting finish is one of the most unexpected in tenpin history.’
- ‘He fooled around with plenty of other sports before settling on tenpins as his livelihood.’
- ‘They could not bowl a full tenpins game during their lunch hours.’
- ‘He had touched on a topic that bothers some tenpin fans.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.