One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The tenderest part of a loin of beef, pork, etc., taken from under the short ribs in the hindquarters.
- ‘When the pan is hot, add a half-pound of pork tenderloin and cook for three minutes.’
- ‘For dinner, we had grilled pork tenderloin, potato gratin and a wonderful barbecue sauce.’
- ‘I wasn't so sure about my tenderloin of pork with Calvados apples.’
- ‘A comprehensive menu includes pork tenderloin and fresh oysters which are always favorite choices for diners.’
- ‘For myself I chose the beef tenderloin prepared at the table.’
- ‘Pork tenderloin is another tasty grilled meat, especially rubbed with cayenne or oregano and cooked quickly.’
- ‘Dinner is a grilled pork tenderloin in roasted garlic marinade with sweet potatoes.’
- ‘For generous helpings of protein and low levels of fat, pork loin and tenderloin are on par with chicken breast.’
- ‘For the main course we chose pork tenderloin wrapped in spinach, parsley and garlic.’
- ‘I accidentally dropped a loaded tray crowded with entrées of pork tenderloin and pasta Alfredo.’
- ‘When we invite friends over for dinner, I tend to fall back on a menu of grilled pork tenderloin with a salad.’
- ‘Pork tenderloin is a wonderful cut - easy to find, quick to cook, lean, and boneless.’
- ‘The main course was grilled beef tenderloin with several accompaniments.’
- ‘For mains I decided to try the beef tenderloin in a Chianti sauce.’
- ‘Their beef tenderloin is incredible value.’
- ‘The special, beef tenderloin with ravioli and zucchini, was very good.’
- ‘Pork tenderloin is the fillet steak of the pig and is seriously underrated.’
- ‘For mains we ordered the rib-eye steak, the pork tenderloin and the fish of the day.’
- ‘I have a nice amount of pork tenderloin left over from our two dinner parties this week.’
- ‘The meat section had: butterflied lamb, mutton, beef, pork chop, pork tenderloin and T-bone.’
- 1.1US The undercut of a sirloin.
- ‘The main course gives a selection of seafood, poultry, lamb, tenderloin, and pork.’
- ‘If you can afford cuts such as tenderloin or top sirloin, you can feel good about eating a tasty yet healthy source of protein.’
- ‘There is a selection of T-bone, tenderloin, sirloin, with a choice of US, NZ or local beef.’
- ‘This is the fillet (also known as tenderloin, or undercut), a long muscle located underneath the bones of the sirloin.’
- ‘A Porterhouse steak consists of both tenderloin and sirloin.’
2North American informal A district of a city where vice and corruption are prominent.
- ‘There is no question that corrupt policemen protected tenderloin brothels and gambling dens.’
- ‘Most large and many smaller cities had thriving, protected tenderloins.’
- ‘Urban reformers had closed the segregated districts in over eighty cities, including the entrenched tenderloins.’
- ‘Ideas to create a classier, more sophisticated image for the tenderloin district were recently discussed.’
- ‘Wards with vice districts consistently elected important tenderloin businessmen, usually leading saloon keepers.’
- ‘Among these rising areas is the Graves region and the tenderloin of that commune.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.