One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A substance such as papain which is rubbed on to meat or used as a marinade to soften the fibers.
- ‘The veal with black olives and mushrooms appeared to be liberally doused with meat tenderizer.’
- ‘This additive is an ingredient in many processed meats and tenderizers.’
- ‘The leaves may also be used in omelets and other egg dishes, or as a meat tenderizer.’
- ‘It turns out the steaks had been injected with meat tenderizers and seasonings.’
- ‘Doctors generally recommend pain relievers, ice packs and meat tenderizer to treat insect bites and stings.’
- ‘Others prefer to use a paste of meat tenderizer in vinegar.’
- ‘The subtilisins are used in such diverse applications as meat tenderizers, laundry detergents, and proteolytic medicines.’
- ‘This contains an enzyme that works as a natural meat tenderizer.’
- ‘Pineapple is somewhat of a meat tenderizer and its juice adds great flavor in marinades.’
- ‘The fat itself acts as a tenderizer by preventing the loss of moisture.’
- ‘As a natural tenderiser, it makes one of the most effective marinades around’
- ‘This additive is found in Chinese food, seasoned salt, meat tenderizers and soy sauce.’
- ‘On the other hand, the company must have run out of tenderizer by the time it got to its Steak-Outs.’
- ‘Commercial tenderisers have papaya as a major ingredient.’
- ‘Enzymes, such as papain from papaya and bromelain from pineapple, are used in extract form as meat tenderizers.’
- ‘You can also do the above, but sprinkle them with a natural meat tenderizer.’
- ‘Chemical tenderizers, using enzymes which break down proteins, can also be rubbed over meat before cooking.’
- 1.1 A small hammer with teeth on the head, used to beat meat to make it tender.
- ‘Sylvie was holding a meat tenderiser - a square metal mallet with little spikes on each hitting surface.’
- ‘I feel as if I have been lightly pounded with a meat tenderiser from head to toe.’
- ‘Put the veal cutlets between two pieces of wax paper and smack them flat with a tenderizer.’
- ‘There's an Italian veal cutlet with crisscross marks from its time under the tenderizer.’
- ‘She felt like she had been pummeled with a meat tenderizer.’
- ‘She stood up smoothly and whacked it as hard as she could with the tenderizer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.