One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Indonesian dish made by deep-frying fermented soybeans.
- ‘Textured soy protein and tempeh are excellent meat alternatives that can completely or partially replace ground meat to reduce intake of saturated fat and cholesterol.’
- ‘Add tofu, tempeh, soybeans, soy powder or soymilk to your diet.’
- ‘Nuts, seeds and dried fruits are good sources of zinc, as are sprouted legumes, seeds and grain, tahini, fermented soya products like tempeh and miso, and legumes.’
- ‘Add cubed tempeh to pasta sauce, spread soy butter on a whole wheat pita instead of peanut butter or toss soy sprouts on a salad or in stir-fry dishes.’
- ‘Soy is available in a variety of forms, including tofu, edamame, miso and tempeh.’
- ‘But because tempeh is fermented, it has distinct health benefits that tofu doesn't.’
- ‘Soy foods like hot dogs, soy sausage, tempeh, and even soy pastrami are also great substitutes because they contain no saturated fat.’
- ‘Tofu and tempeh make great alternatives to grilled meats.’
- ‘Soy products - such as soy milk, soy flour, soy nuts, tofu and tempeh - contain isoflavones, plant-based compounds that may reduce your risk of prostate cancer.’
- ‘It consists of plain steamed rice served with beef stew, salted eggs, fried beancurd, tempeh, cucumber, basil, mung beans and chili sauce.’
- ‘Meaty Brazil nuts add a healthy crunch to these savory veggie burgers, which are beefed up with tempeh and black beans.’
- ‘She claims that the traditional process of making fermented soya products like tofu or tempeh destroys many of the allegedly dangerous chemicals in soya, unlike modern factory methods used today.’
- ‘Soya-based foods such as tofu, tempeh and soya milk and yoghurt are all rich in oestrogen-like compounds called isoflavones.’
- ‘Nutritionally speaking, tempeh is very similar to tofu.’
- ‘Tofu, tempeh and other soy foods are complete proteins, but most plant proteins are deficient in one or more essential amino acids, making them incomplete.’
- ‘Try portions of tofu, tempeh (fermented tofu) and soya milk.’
- ‘Proteins are comprised of amino acids, which are obtained from such sources as fish, meat, eggs, cheese, legumes, tofu (soya bean curd) and tempeh (fermented soya beans).’
- ‘My parents have been very positive about my meals, and I am very proud of my father, who has been trying dishes laced with tofu or tempeh.’
- ‘Soybean-based products, such as tofu and tempeh, can be a good alternative to meat because they contain all of the amino acids your body needs to make a complete protein, just like meat.’
- ‘The Asian diet includes grains such as rice and noodles, and soy foods like tofu and tempeh.’
From Indonesian tempe.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.