Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a people of Sierra Leone.
- ‘This small country includes the homelands of 20 African peoples, including the Mende, Lokko, Temne, Limba, Susu, Yalunka, Sherbro, Bullom, Krim, Koranko, Kono, Vai, Kissi, Gola, and Fula, the latter having the largest numbers.’
- ‘For example, the two largest ethnic groups, the Temne and Mende, each comprise about 30 percent of the total population, and have come to ‘absorb’ many of their less populous neighbors.’
- ‘In 1841, illegally captured Mendes, Temnes, and members of other tribes managed to take control of their slave ship, the Amistad.’
- ‘The Portuguese navigator Pedro de Cintra reached it in 1462, at about the time the Temne, its chief inhabitants, were reaching the coast.’
- ‘Among the Temne of Africa it can take days to fashion a hairstyle.’
2The Niger–Congo language of the Temne, the main language of Sierra Leone.
- ‘For example, if both parents speak Temne and Mende the child becomes bilingual in those languages and, usually, the widely used Krio language.’
- ‘Krio, Mende and Temne are widely spoken, with Krio being the lingua franca.’
- ‘You probably don't speak Temne yourself, so there are a few questions you'll need to consider when choosing a translation company.’
Relating to the Temne or their language.
- ‘In 1562, Temne warriors reneged on a deal with a European slave trader and drove him away with a fleet of war canoes.’
- ‘For instance, Loko people will admit to being heavily culturally influenced by the Temne people surrounding them, the Krim and the Gola by Sierra Leone’
- ‘The analysis of Temne perceptions of the occult is particularly welcome.’
The name in Temne.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.