One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be significant or revealing, without any further explanation or comment being necessary.‘the worried expression on Helen's face told its own tale’
- ‘The drooped heads and lost facial expressions on Sunday evening last told its own story.’
- ‘The imagery tells its own story, though, as well.’
- ‘The frayed and severed string told its own tale.’
- ‘The hearty round of applause told its own story.’
- ‘Her worn and malnourished face told its own story.’
- ‘The look on their faces told its own story as they tried to take in the dreadful news of the tragedy that had befallen this community.’
- ‘The families and the children have, for the most part, stayed in the community that supported them through the nightmare, which tells its own story in terms of how the islanders regarded the outcome of the affair.’
- ‘The second half score of 2-8 to 0-5 tells its own tale.’
- ‘And at the end of the day an embarrassing 146 run defeat just about told its own story.’
- ‘Nevertheless, the Dublin episode told its own story.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.