One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for transmitting telegraph messages as they are keyed, and for printing messages received.
- ‘Enigma was going well by this stage, but intelligence realised there must be another system when a stray teleprinter message was picked up by a listening post in Kent.’
- ‘The invention of the teletypewriter and its development of the teleprinter, linked to the telegraph system, added a further dimension to communications.’
- ‘The ideal arrangement is to have a teleprinter communicating between the two rooms.’
- ‘There were noisy typewriters and even noisier teleprinters, to say nothing of piles of typewritten sheets of paper.’
- ‘Other developments included automatic teleprinters which could transmit messages at a rate of 100 words a minute, and facsimile facilities which could transmit war photographers' prints halfway round the world in seven minutes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.