Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The explanation of phenomena by the purpose they serve rather than by postulated causes.
- ‘Not only do his detailed accounts describe competing constructions of black subjectivity, but they also prescribe particular roles and developmental teleologies for black culture and political consciousness.’
- ‘But on this larger scale, suspicion about metanarratives of progress is still appropriate, particularly where these involve teleologies.’
- ‘Rather, it points to natural developmental teleologies in children's lives that child-rearing should take into account.’
- ‘Rather, he is presenting an emerging ethical alternative that favors individual preference over goods conceived in concrete social networks and immutable teleologies of life.’
- ‘Pragmatism in ethics is often regarded as a form of teleology or consequentialism.’
- 1.1Theology The doctrine of design and purpose in the material world.
- ‘Unbounded design or contingent teleology occurs when the end-state is not specifically predetermined, but rather is the result of selection of one from among several available alternatives.’
- ‘Without some teleology, there is no flourishing and no future for the human community.’
- ‘It is a model that applies both a human and a divine teleology through Thomas's hallmark ethics of natural law.’
- ‘Thus the appearance of teleology by itself is not sufficient to infer intelligent design.’
- ‘This portrays a loose teleology, a soft concept of creation, one that permits genuine, though not ultimate, integrity and autonomy in the creatures.’
Mid 18th century (denoting the branch of philosophy that deals with ends or final causes): from modern Latin teleologia, from Greek telos end + -logia (see -logy).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.