Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The most highly developed and anterior part of the forebrain, consisting chiefly of the cerebral hemispheres.Compare with diencephalon
- ‘The telencephalon of living reptiles and birds is expanded laterally, so that it has a distinct heart-shape when viewed dorsally.’
- ‘Developmentally, estrogens might be synthesized only locally in the telencephalon of male Zebra Finches to masculinize the neural circuits controlling song.’
- ‘For example, development of the telencephalon can be divided into these stages: neurectoderm, neural plate, neural tube, forebrain vesicle, evaginated hemispheres, etc.’
- ‘Repertoire size can be predicted by variance in the sizes of several brain nuclei, which show significant covariation not only with each other but also with the size of the telencephalon or overall brain size.’
- ‘Similarly, animals that occupy spatially complex environments such as coral reefs also tend to have larger telencephalons.’
Late 19th century: from tele- far + encephalon.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.