Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Grow or cut teeth, especially milk teeth.
- ‘We share the same problems faced by most families with an 18-month-old child - teething, toddling, etc.’
- ‘Children often experience some of these symptoms while teething (growing teeth).’
- ‘Not everyone agrees that babies cry because they are teething - but many parents are convinced it causes some crying.’
- ‘If babies are teething, rub peppermint oil or aloe vera gel on the gums, or give them a teaspoon of the chamomile/ginger tea brew as needed.’
- ‘Try Teething Granules, which help relieve restlessness and irritability due to pain and tenderness associated with teething.’
- ‘Today, this species is a sedative given in mild form to infants during teething and is used in commercial diuretics.’
- ‘She has been teething so I brought her downstairs and got her settled on the sofa.’
- ‘However, small children have been known to incur health problems by ingesting loose chips of lead paint or by teething on painted woodwork, such as window sills.’
- ‘If you think the temperature is due to teething, run your finger over the gums to see if the gums are hot and sore.’
- ‘Hypersecretion commonly is caused by inflammation, such as teething, dental caries, and oral cavity infection.’
- ‘You want the very best pediatrician for your baby - someone you can turn to for advice on teething, ear infections, potty training and the major stages of your child's development.’
- ‘He has been teething for about three weeks now, with no sign of the impending teeth.’
- ‘I have a feeling that poor Franklin is teething.’
- ‘I think the main reason for this is that she's teething.’
- ‘Apparently, a toddler can have swollen glands for teething, a cold, any little virus.’
- ‘As you might expect, there's plenty of questions and advice about teething, naps, and feeding.’
- ‘Parents, midwives, health visitors, and doctors blame teething for a wide range of symptoms in babies, including diarrhoea, drooling, crankiness, rashes, and strong smelling urine.’
- ‘Paracetamol and teething gels were widely recommended by all groups, and 41 pharmacists recommended sedating medication.’
- ‘Teeth can therefore serve a variety of functions in our lives from the time that the first deciduous (milk or primary) teeth appear, a process commonly known as teething.’
- ‘If she hadn't seen them with her own eyes, Rebecca probably wouldn't have known her daughter was teething.’
- ‘This always seems to happen when she is teething.’
- ‘From changing nappies to breastfeeding, weaning to teething, there are 101 things to learn when you have a new baby.’
- ‘Oil of cloves is mildly anaesthetic and is often used to soothe babies who are teething.’
- ‘In every group most of those who believed that teething causes symptoms ascribed irritability, dribbling or drooling, biting objects, sleep problems, inflamed gums, and red cheeks to teething.’
- ‘It's been tiring and she's teething but I get a lot of support.’
- ‘Increased drooling is common at this age but not necessarily associated with teething.’
- ‘He had taken up that nasty habit lately, but I assumed it was just because he was teething.’
- ‘For mild cases of teething, most infants will benefit from combination teething tablets that contain multiple homeopathic remedies.’
- ‘She knew how irritable he got when his baby was teething.’
- ‘My mom said he's teething and has been pretty fussy lately.’
- ‘Although tender and swollen gums could cause your baby's temperature to be a little higher than normal, teething, as a rule, does not cause high fever or diarrhea.’
- ‘Fortunately he soon got better - I think it was probably a virus or he was teething.’
- ‘Fever can also be caused by teething, dehydration and some childhood immunisations.’
- ‘Chamomilla is good for earaches associated with teething.’
- ‘Other conditions can also result in earaches, such as teething, a foreign object in the ear, or hard earwax.’
- ‘The causes for chewing wood can be tooth problems and teething, stomach or intestinal parasites or mineral deficiency.’
- ‘Your baby may also tug on their ear or even develop cold symptoms whilst teething.’
- ‘Some are designed to numb very specific types of pain - for example, from teething, hemorrhoids or sunburn.’
- ‘Reasons for biting behavior among toddlers in group child care include teething, impulsiveness and lack of self-control, overstimulation, and frustration.’
- ‘If she turns around, she'll see the silver fob and chain, marked by their daughter's teething.’
Late Middle English: from teeth.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.