One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Forming a covering.
- ‘A model that includes a tectorial plate may produce more stable results.’
- 1.1 Denoting the membrane covering the organ of Corti in the inner ear.
- ‘In the mammalian cochlea, it has been suggested based on the anatomy of the overlying tectorial membrane that outer hair cells sense RL displacement and inner hair cells are velocity sensors.’
- ‘In the freestanding region of the alligator lizard cochlea, which lacks a tectorial membrane, hair bundles are graded in height along the length of the cochlea.’
- ‘The motion of the tectorial membrane with respect to the reticular lamina subserves auditory function by bending the outer hair cell bundles and inducing fluid flows that shear the inner hair bundles in response to sound energy.’
- ‘A fibrous layer, called tectorial membrane, overlies the organ of Corti, contacting the tips of the tallest stereocilia of the OHCs.’
- ‘The micromechanics of the organ of Corti and the tectorial membrane is then analyzed by our new method.’
Late 19th century: from Latin tectorium ‘covering, a cover’ (from tegere ‘to cover’) + -al.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.