treated as singular or plural Large-scale processes affecting the structure of the earth's crust.
- ‘These data clearly demonstrate that parts of the Scottish basement underwent major thick-skinned tectonics during the Grenvillian orogeny.’
- ‘The results may help to reconstruct the orogenic nappe structure that prevailed in the area before the region was reworked by extensional tectonics.’
- ‘He also questions the stratigraphy of the graben and the timing of north-south extensional tectonics.’
- ‘The significant time gap between orogenic deformation and thermal metamorphism implies that metamorphism in many other orogens may not necessarily be due to compressive tectonics.’
- ‘As the two examples confirm, the largest failures and most rapid rock-slope development rates are associated with steep, mountain environments and with active tectonics.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.