One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular or plural Large-scale processes affecting the structure of the earth's crust.‘there remains an area of active tectonics north of the mountain chain’‘Nicol had come to different conclusions about the tectonics of the area’
- ‘The results may help to reconstruct the orogenic nappe structure that prevailed in the area before the region was reworked by extensional tectonics.’
- ‘The significant time gap between orogenic deformation and thermal metamorphism implies that metamorphism in many other orogens may not necessarily be due to compressive tectonics.’
- ‘As the two examples confirm, the largest failures and most rapid rock-slope development rates are associated with steep, mountain environments and with active tectonics.’
- ‘He also questions the stratigraphy of the graben and the timing of north-south extensional tectonics.’
- ‘These data clearly demonstrate that parts of the Scottish basement underwent major thick-skinned tectonics during the Grenvillian orogeny.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.