Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A novel or movie in which the excitement of the plot depends in large part upon the descriptions of computers, weapons, software, military vehicles, or other machines.‘Tom Clancy's best-selling technothriller’
- ‘The film manages to combine the futuristic techno-thriller with the zombie screamfest.’
- ‘Maybe it's too much a low-budget, sci-fi, techno-thriller mind bend, but that was what it started as.’
- ‘‘Tinkerers’, I would say, write big stand-alone thrillers, military novels, espionage, techno-thrillers, gangster-themed books, and so on and so forth.’
- ‘When it comes to the techno-thriller, Clancy is the king.’
- ‘Crichton, in particular, has put images in our mind, with a series of best-selling techno-thrillers, many of which have been transformed into blockbuster motion pictures.’
- ‘During the summer, many of us avail ourselves of giant blockbuster books, bodice-rippers and techno-thrillers, tomes about the size of a brick with the sustenance of cotton candy.’
- ‘Following the chronology of Clancy's mega-popular techno-thrillers, then, The Sum of All Fears is the next logical choice.’
- ‘The result was his first novel, Digital Fortress, a techno-thriller laced with conspiracy.’
- ‘Here's an idea for a hybrid science fiction / techno-thriller story I'm working on.’
- ‘A truly great techno-thriller has yet to emerge, which is odd because technology, with its bleeping gadgets and fast-paced information overload, provides a dazzling backdrop for a clever film.’
- ‘Tom Clancy may have started it with his techno-thriller gaming company but more recently, large and well-known developers are turning to high-profile military talent in order to enhance realism.’
- ‘Crichton has made a career out of writing techno-thrillers - The Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park, Airframe, Sphere.’
- ‘Together they meld their knowledge of geography, satellite navigation, and weapons systems technology into a readable blend of techno-thriller and futures analyses.’
- ‘Part two is also an improvement in that it reads rather more like a regular non-literary techno-thriller, which seems to me to be an advantage.’
- ‘Readers may differ on whether this combination of Chick Lit and techno-thriller succeeds, but it's hard not to admire the audacity of the experiment.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.