Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A novel or movie in which the excitement of the plot depends in large part upon the descriptions of computers, weapons, software, military vehicles, or other machines.‘Tom Clancy's best-selling technothriller’
- ‘Readers may differ on whether this combination of Chick Lit and techno-thriller succeeds, but it's hard not to admire the audacity of the experiment.’
- ‘Maybe it's too much a low-budget, sci-fi, techno-thriller mind bend, but that was what it started as.’
- ‘‘Tinkerers’, I would say, write big stand-alone thrillers, military novels, espionage, techno-thrillers, gangster-themed books, and so on and so forth.’
- ‘Part two is also an improvement in that it reads rather more like a regular non-literary techno-thriller, which seems to me to be an advantage.’
- ‘The result was his first novel, Digital Fortress, a techno-thriller laced with conspiracy.’
- ‘Following the chronology of Clancy's mega-popular techno-thrillers, then, The Sum of All Fears is the next logical choice.’
- ‘Together they meld their knowledge of geography, satellite navigation, and weapons systems technology into a readable blend of techno-thriller and futures analyses.’
- ‘A truly great techno-thriller has yet to emerge, which is odd because technology, with its bleeping gadgets and fast-paced information overload, provides a dazzling backdrop for a clever film.’
- ‘Crichton, in particular, has put images in our mind, with a series of best-selling techno-thrillers, many of which have been transformed into blockbuster motion pictures.’
- ‘When it comes to the techno-thriller, Clancy is the king.’
- ‘Here's an idea for a hybrid science fiction / techno-thriller story I'm working on.’
- ‘Tom Clancy may have started it with his techno-thriller gaming company but more recently, large and well-known developers are turning to high-profile military talent in order to enhance realism.’
- ‘During the summer, many of us avail ourselves of giant blockbuster books, bodice-rippers and techno-thrillers, tomes about the size of a brick with the sustenance of cotton candy.’
- ‘Crichton has made a career out of writing techno-thrillers - The Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park, Airframe, Sphere.’
- ‘The film manages to combine the futuristic techno-thriller with the zombie screamfest.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.