One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small spoon used typically for adding sugar to and stirring hot drinks or for eating some soft foods.
- ‘We have a pot, water jug, fresh milk and sugar but no teaspoons.’
- ‘Sitting down, she took up the tumbler and the teaspoon and spooned up a bit of the mixture.’
- ‘One can play metal teaspoons, tablespoons, soup spoons, and wooden spoons.’
- ‘Use standard measuring devices to take your medicines (household teaspoons, cups, or glasses vary widely in the amount they hold).’
- ‘Drop batter from a teaspoon about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.’
- ‘Using a teaspoon, spoon out some of the mixture and then, with the palms of both hands, form it into balls.’
- ‘In 1783 Revere made twenty-four spoons engraved with the Swan crest - six large spoons, twelve large teaspoons, and six tablespoons.’
- 1.1 A measurement used in cooking, equivalent to 1/6 fluid ounce, 1/3 tablespoon, or 4.9 ml.
- ‘A can of soft drink or a chocolate bar can contain six or seven teaspoons of sugar.’
- ‘By way of example, a baked potato converted to blood sugar quicker than a teaspoon of sugar.’
- ‘A calorie is a measurement, just like a teaspoon or an inch.’
- ‘Add a teaspoon salt, a teaspoon sugar and a generous sprinkle of dried Italian herbs.’
- ‘In cooking, ingredients are expressed in teaspoons, tablespoons, ounces, pounds, and cups.’
- ‘Rub with a solution of 300 ml white spirit, 300 ml water and a teaspoon of washing-up liquid.’
- ‘Just one average dish of the ubiquitous stir fry packs a whopping 1,321 kilojoules, with 23 teaspoons of oil and 115 grams of fat.’
- ‘Some of the newer varieties, such as Fuji and Braeburn, contain more than four teaspoons of sugar, according to the Food Standards Agency.’
- ‘In addition to sugars that occur naturally in food, the average American diet includes 20 added teaspoons of sugar a day, much of it in soft drinks and prepared foods.’
- ‘He makes coffee for them both, strong black coffee and sweet - three teaspoons of sugar at least - and they drink it together in the cool darkness of their bedroom.’
- ‘Place everything in a food processor with a teaspoon of salt and blend.’
- ‘I couldn't eat and was drinking tea with three teaspoons of sugar to give me energy.’
- ‘Always treat him/her with foods or beverages containing about 2-3 rounded teaspoons of sugar or honey.’
- ‘If you irrigate, and your water is also alkaline, acidify it with 2 teaspoons of vinegar per gallon of water.’
- ‘Put it back into the jar and add 1 cup warm water, 2 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons ginger.’
- ‘Place one pint of liquid fertilizer in the jar and add two teaspoons of the liquid herbicide.’
- ‘One scoop of ice cream holds seven teaspoons of sugar.’
- ‘The search box also performs unit conversions, such as 5 kilometres in miles or how many teaspoons in a cup?’
- ‘It means you can stimulate your paddock with your third of a teaspoon per hectare, stimulate the weeds, knock them down and then plant your crop.’
- ‘A simple alternative for making a rehydration solution is to mix half a teaspoon of table salt and 8 teaspoons of sugar in 1 liter of water.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.