One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Australasian flowering shrub or small tree with leaves that are sometimes used for tea. Some species yield an oil valued for its antiseptic properties.
- ‘The oil of tea tree is obtained from the leaves and branch tips by aqueous steam distillation after ‘curing’ for about 6 weeks.’
- ‘He said peat fires - a traditional fuel for stoves - were difficult to control, and highly inflammable tea tree made controlling the blaze difficult.’
- ‘Spend some time here and you will glide instead of walk, float instead of swim and smell of lemon grass, tea tree or lavender.’
- ‘This balm, with tea tree oil, vegetable proteins and botanicals, instantly stimulates and conditions.’
- ‘At the first sign of cold, add one drop of eucalyptus or tea tree oil to a glass of warm water and then gargle.’
- ‘He points to work done in a Parisian hospital in which doctors used essential oils of tea tree, thyme and oregano to treat infections.’
- ‘As well as browsing through the grounds visitors can also enjoy a coffee in the plantation's treetop cafe and discover the many benefits and uses of tea tree.’
- ‘Lavender oil and tea tree oil are also effective remedies, so keep a bottle of either in the car or handbag on family outings.’
- ‘Along with the sculptures that make up the permanent collection are 69 new pieces, each creatively set in the beautiful gardens that surround the large tea tree plantation.’
- ‘On shelves in one bedroom were dozens of bottles of essential oils: clary sage, cinnamon, tea tree and carrot seed.’
- ‘The majority of the land was covered in gorse and tea tree, and 50 percent of it was non-productive.’
- ‘Shampoos that contain jojoba oil or tea tree oil help eliminate oily deposits and reduce shedding.’
- ‘The unique show allows artists to create one-off installations as well as large-scale artworks, which are set amongst the rambling botanical gardens, rainforest and acres of tea tree that form the plantation.’
- ‘In summer days, if you attend outdoor parties, make sure to carry a small bottle of tea tree oil or lavender oil for insect bites.’
- ‘A large distinct granite ledge runs almost the entire length of the pool, while a mixture of tussocks and tea tree line the opposite bank.’
- ‘The symposium will bring together producers, researchers and others with a stake in the development of the tea tree industry.’
- ‘Initial research shows that the natural strength and complexity of oils such as eucalyptus, lavender and tea tree makes them more deadly to superbugs than artificial alternatives.’
- ‘Other ingredients such as propolis, myrrh, tea tree and echinacea can help slow bacterial growth, strengthen gum tissue and prevent inflammation.’
- ‘Local lawyers and doctors in search of a tax break plant tea tree, macadamias and coffee.’
- ‘Sipping a glass of wine on the love seat in the rose garden, shaded by a New Zealand tea tree, you'll feel far from the urban scene.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.