One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A hymn beginning Te Deum laudamus, “We praise Thee, O God,” sung at matins or on special occasions such as a thanksgiving.
- ‘Then the Vicar-General and some of the Franciscan fathers came ashore carrying two crosses in procession and singing the Te Deum.’
- ‘The comparison of the Te Deum and the Apostles Creed is a creative piece and the part on the final collects is fully developed and contains a wealth of information.’
- ‘To mark the occasion a Te Deum was sung by the Pope.’
- ‘Those present should gather afterwards for a short act of thanksgiving, which may be an informal prayer, or a recitation of the Te Deum or the Gloria in Excelsis.’
- ‘Three miles from London the cavalcade was greeted by a mass choir of 3000 scholars and clerks from the city which urged him on with a Te Deum laudumus.’
- 1.1 A musical setting of a Te Deum.
- ‘The Coronation Te Deum was written for the Abbey, and is made all the more dramatic with antiphonal brass.’
- ‘Time has revealed that the pairs of sixteenths in the Gloria and the Te Deum are not daunting but comfortable for good rhythmic accentuation.’
- ‘In 1896 Verdi wrote to his friend Boito that musical ‘Te Deums’ were usually performed ‘at great, solemn, noisy celebrations for a victory or a coronation.’’
- ‘During a performance of Te Deum in January 1687, he accidentally smashed his foot with a large conducting staff.’
- ‘The Te Deum, like the Gloria, borrows from Walton and (also like the Gloria) pales in a direct comparison.’
- 1.2 An expression of thanksgiving or exultation.
- ‘Was his childlilke sensibility shocked too often by the Te Deum which, with great ringing of bells, regularly called the populace to celebrate the Corsican ogre's latest victory?’
- ‘Henry II of France, meanwhile, exulted with Te Deum and bonfires, and the marriage of Mary Stuart to the Dauphin, the perilous consequence of the aggression of Henry VIII and Protector Somerset, was expedited.’
- ‘In 1836, the Bishop of Montreal ordered the Te Deum be proclaimed in the churches for the new queen, Victoria.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.