Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A taxonomic group of any rank, such as a species, family, or class.→ taxa
taxonomic group, group, order, class, subclass, genus, speciesView synonyms
- ‘Each taxon represents a single species, except where the number of taxa is given in parentheses.’
- ‘In other schemes the phylum Arthropoda is retained and the major taxa are given subphylum or class status.’
- ‘For this study, we were not able to obtain standard samples for these species taxa.’
- ‘The extent of polyploidy in target taxa and related species was generally unknown.’
- ‘Whether these taxa should be considered species is an issue that may never be resolved.’
1920s: back-formation from taxonomy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.