Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dancing partner available for a fee.
- ‘When Ma and Pa Rockefeller object to young Jason miscegenating with the hired help, Nisa flees the mansion, taking a new job as a taxi dancer in a Hollywood sex club.’
- ‘It replaced Fellini's waif-like Italian prostitute with the equally waif-like New York taxi dancer Charity Hope Valentine, whose day-to-day existence is sketched out right at the top of the show.’
- ‘Once a member of the aristocracy, she now lives in genteel poverty, working as a taxi dancer.’
- ‘He worked for a while as a taxi dancer (paid by the ‘ride’, or dance), and performed in dance exhibitions.’
- ‘After a series of odd jobs, he became a taxi dancer and then an exhibition dancer in New York City.’
- ‘Ruth Etting (Doris Day, Calamity Jane) is a young taxi dancer who wants to stop working the floor in sleazy Chicago night joints and make it to the stage.’
- ‘The Russian family of whom Natasha Richardson's character (Countess Sofia Belinsky) is a member has fallen on such hard times the others must depend on her income as a taxi dancer in louche clubs.’
- ‘Born in Italy in 1895, Valentino went to New York at the age of 18, where he earned his living at Maxim's as a taxi dancer - paid to dance with unaccompanied women.’
- ‘She believes that Fowler has ruined Phuong's chances for respectable marriage, that her sister is doomed to return to her former life as a taxi dancer.’
- ‘Some fellow students exhausted by the expertise of the taxi dancers even wanted to dance with me.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.