One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A financial arrangement made to avoid or minimize taxes.
- ‘Their most likely primary use, however, will be as a generous tax shelter for the upper-income set.’
- ‘If the understatement is related to a tax shelter, you must be able to prove you believed it was more likely than not that you would win against the IRS.’
- ‘But his autobiography does not mention the tax shelter advantages of his museum and foundation, which were hardly negligible.’
- ‘This represents an enormous tax shelter for those with excess income but will do little for the average American.’
- ‘Other than business ownership, a home is probably the only tax shelter available to average Americans.’
- ‘Buyers who want to use their second house as a holiday home, as opposed to a tax shelter, should opt for Section 48 properties.’
- ‘To crack down on abuse, the House and Senate are pushing for tax shelter legislation.’
- ‘The new regime for Isa products from April 5 effectively removes the tax shelter on dividend income for basic rate taxpayers leaving them no better off than if they had invested directly.’
- ‘Second, there is no tax shelter as capital gains are taxed regularly, albeit at the beneficiary's rate, which is typically lower than that of the contributor.’
- ‘This provision establishes a new, health-insurance related tax shelter - so-called medical savings accounts.’
- ‘About 20 million of them were sold during their 12-year lifetime and they can continue to act as a tax shelter for your investments.’
- ‘Other tax shelter schemes are also widely used.’
- ‘Other sources of revenue include a tax on stock and bond transactions, closing corporate tax shelter loopholes, projected budget surpluses, and household out-of pocket costs.’
- ‘Brennan discussed the types of property which could be used as a tax shelter.’
- ‘The maximum limit per child is modest and therefore not designed as a tax shelter for the rich’
- ‘Used aircraft owners can only deduct 20% of the purchase price in the first year, so if you're looking for a tax shelter, a new aircraft is definitely the way to go.’
- ‘To ensure a good return on a tax-break investment, investors should deduct the value of the tax shelter from the purchase price and compare it to the price of similar properties in the area.’
- ‘‘One of the reasons I started my company is for the tax shelter,’ says Bastien, who predicts his consulting business could make $30,000 this year.’
- ‘Schiff's psychiatrist also told the court that Schiff has been paranoid for years as a result of his having lost heavily in a tax shelter that turned out to be a Ponzi scheme.’
- ‘The various tax shelter proposals allow a family of four to remove $60,000 each year from taxation over the entire lifetime of the owners; that is, once sheltered, no taxes will ever be paid on these funds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.