One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A country or independent area where taxes are levied at a low rate.
- ‘In a ‘corporate inversion,’ a U.S. company creates a new parent corporation based in a tax haven like Bermuda.’
- ‘In his global pursuit of tax advantage, he set up ADT in Bermuda and became a naturalized citizen of Belize, even serving for a time as the tax haven's ambassador to the U.N.’
- ‘We may be the most self-indulgent country in the world that isn't a tax haven, but you get some really cool stuff thanks to our insanity.’
- ‘Stafford originated the idea of a financial tax haven for Dublin, though it was later regarded as the brainchild of Dermot Desmond.’
- ‘In recent weeks, The Sunday Business Post has confirmed that Lawlor visited the tax haven when Ireland played soccer internationals there in 1995 and 1996.’
- ‘As Bank of Ireland's operations in the Jersey tax haven come under close scrutiny by the Revenue Commissioners, exposure of its business practices should be a source of deep embarrassment to management.’
- ‘On one hand, it needs to reassure the world that Ireland is squeaky clean, a million miles removed from being a tax haven.’
- ‘That made Zhuhai a tax haven for foreign investors and opened it to free market experimentation.’
- ‘During a seven day visit to the tax haven, Collery generated a number of documents based on information which he had accumulated in Ireland and which he brought to the Caymans.’
- ‘Basically, a company must operate part of its business there, and that means more than plunking down a server in a tax haven.’
- ‘Pick your tax haven - be it Jersey, the Isle of Man or one of the even more exotic locations whose regimes are attractive to the tax-averse.’
- ‘The tiny principality of Liechtenstein has managed to transform itself from a poor farming country into a wealthy tax haven.’
- ‘Associating the stolid backbencher with a tax haven based in an exotic Caribbean location requires quite a feat of imagination.’
- ‘Many of these international investors never set foot in the tax haven of their choice.’
- ‘Bermuda has been a favourite tax haven for many years, but the burgeoning population has drained the islands' resources.’
- ‘Moving to a tax haven like New Hampshire, Texas, or Florida is one possibility.’
- ‘A two-year-old outfit with a phone number in the Isle of Man - a U.K. tax haven that functions like Bermuda or Panama - Dafin has an office in Johannesburg.’
- ‘However, it underlines that the ‘no or nominal tax criterion’ is not sufficient, by itself, to result in characterisation as a tax haven.’
- ‘His alleged ruse was to list the tax haven of Monaco as his primary residence instead of Germany.’
- ‘Montserrat also tries to exploit its role as a tax haven by offering light or no taxes on certain international business operations and on agricultural income.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.