The arrangement of one's financial affairs to minimize tax liability within the law.Compare with tax evasion
- ‘The chancellor has already clamped down on tax avoidance by targeting complex arrangements, such as double trusts.’
- ‘In doing so, the individual takes account of personalised needs, maximum tax avoidance, investment options, and so forth.’
- ‘New rules to tackle tax avoidance using personal service companies and similar intermediaries were published today.’
- ‘Tyco International's acquisition accounting and offshore tax avoidance practices are also under scrutiny.’
- ‘They've clamped down on some traditional ways of tax avoidance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.