Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The arrangement of one's financial affairs to minimize tax liability within the law.Compare with tax evasion
- ‘In doing so, the individual takes account of personalised needs, maximum tax avoidance, investment options, and so forth.’
- ‘Tyco International's acquisition accounting and offshore tax avoidance practices are also under scrutiny.’
- ‘New rules to tackle tax avoidance using personal service companies and similar intermediaries were published today.’
- ‘They've clamped down on some traditional ways of tax avoidance.’
- ‘The chancellor has already clamped down on tax avoidance by targeting complex arrangements, such as double trusts.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.