Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The arrangement of one's financial affairs to minimize tax liability within the law.Compare with tax evasion
- ‘The chancellor has already clamped down on tax avoidance by targeting complex arrangements, such as double trusts.’
- ‘New rules to tackle tax avoidance using personal service companies and similar intermediaries were published today.’
- ‘They've clamped down on some traditional ways of tax avoidance.’
- ‘In doing so, the individual takes account of personalised needs, maximum tax avoidance, investment options, and so forth.’
- ‘Tyco International's acquisition accounting and offshore tax avoidance practices are also under scrutiny.’
tax avoidance/taks əˈvoidns/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.