A common Eurasian owl with either reddish-brown or gray plumage and a quavering hoot.
- ‘Riverrun's wildlife reserve is a professionally tended nature reserve, containing rare species of waterfowl and other birds such as heron, snipe, pheasant, teal, white-fronted geese, kingfisher and tawny owls.’
- ‘Children were thrilled to be able to stroke a beautiful barn owl, while an enormous eagle owl, a tawny owl, a kestrel and a turkey vulture called George looked on.’
- ‘The 47 dead birds were seven barn owls, three kingfishers, a lapwing, a hen harrier, six long-eared owls, nine tawny owls, two kestrels, three green woodpeckers, six little owls, seven sparrowhawks, a water rail and a waxwing.’
- ‘Wood peckers, herons, tawny owls and wood warblers are common in the area.’
- ‘The bird boxes will provide a haven for birds including: the rare spotted flycatchers; robins; starlings and tawny owls - and will raise the profile and appreciation of wildlife in Durham City.’