A small Greek restaurant or cafe.
- ‘14th century Byzantine ramparts radiate from here, mostly overlooked by 20th century apartments, tavernas and cafes, yet it feels more like an overgrown village.’
- ‘Step inside the restaurant and you'll be transported to a Greek taverna, as the wonderful aroma of Mediterranean cooking fills the air.’
- ‘A string of restaurants ranging from fine dining through to a Greek taverna and a pizza terrace dot the seafront, with its classical views out to the island of Zakynthos.’
- ‘Visitors can expect high standards of accommodation, friendly locals, a good choice of restaurants, bars, tavernas, nightclubs and shopping.’
- ‘Now it is a narrow, bustling thoroughfare of Greek tavernas and kebab shops.’
Modern Greek, from Latin taberna (see tavern).