Gray with a tinge of brown.[as modifier] ‘a taupe overcoat’
pale, pastel, light-tonedView synonyms
- ‘For a subtle look, use a slightly darker or lighter hue of the main color (i.e. beige and taupe, navy and royal blue, purple and violet).’
- ‘The colour taupe is perfect for grey or blonde hair.’
- ‘Along with taupe and chocolate brown, one of this season's hottest shades is a muted heather (lavender with a bit of gray).’
- ‘There are bolts of taupe fabric draped on the windows, and the lighting is muted.’
- ‘This season, however, earthy tones such as brown, taupe and khaki green are also making a presence.’
Early 20th century: from French, literally mole, moleskin from Latin talpa.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.